These low carb Bailey’s cupcakes are a great holiday treat. A light chocolate almond flourcake is piped with a creamy frosting with a dash or two of sugar free Bailey’s Irish Cream.
What better flavour combination for the holidays or as a special treat but chocolate with Bailey’s frosting? The Bailey’s is my sugar free recipe. Make a batch and use some of it for these cupcakes.
How to make Baileys chocolate cupcakes
The cupcake is a simple chocolate almond flour cupcake. You could replace the almond flour with coconut flour but reduce the coconut flour to ½ cup. The secret to the lightness of these low carb cupcakes is the sour cream. I made a batch without it and the cupcakes were more like muffins.
The frosting is good enough to eat directly from the bowl with a spoon! Cream cheese, butter and allulose flavoured with Baileys. I use allulose as I find that it does not have that “minty” aftertaste some other low carb sweeteners can have.
Recipe Tips & Suggestions
If you want to make these cupcake alcohol free, simply omit the Baileys. You could add a touch of coffee to the frosting too.
You might have frosting left over as I made a large batch of it and piped into on thick and tall! Keep any leftover frosting in a sealed container in the fridge for another batch or smother it on your breakfast pancakes or waffles.
More low carb cupcakes to bake
Baileys Chocolate Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees and line a muffin tin with 9 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl add the butter, sour cream and monkfruit sweetener and whisk until smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time and continue to whisk.
- Add the almond flour, baking powder, cocoa and salt. Whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake liners and bake for 20-15 minutes until the tops of the cupcakes are firm.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tin before removing them to cool on a cooling rack.
Make the Frosting
- In a medium bowl, whisk the cream cheese and butter until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the powdered sweetener and whisk until combined.
- Add the Bailey Irish cream a tablespoon at a time, whisk and taste test. You may not want all the tablespoons or you might want to increase it!
- Spoon the frosting into a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe on top of the cupcakes.
- Serve with a light dusting of cocoa powder (optional)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.