Soft and moist almond flour cakes that can be filled with any delicious filling. Berries and cream are particularly delicious.
To be honest I am not sure if this is a cake or could be passed off as a soft cookie. They are soft and sponge-like but I wonder if I cooked them for longer to harden they would be more of a cookie. For the time being I am using them as mini sponges and sandwiching them with some cream and soft fruit. The ones that I used with cooked slices of apple did not last long at all.
This is a delicate mixture to handle though so be careful with it! I used ginger to flavour the sponges but you could play around and use cocoa or other spices. Go crazy, play around and make it to your liking!
¼ cup almond flour
2 eggs, separated
1 tblspn double/heavy cream
½ tspn ground ginger
4 tblspn sugar substitute (I used erthyritol)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Whip the egg whites until still. Then add the sugar substitute and whisk again to keep thick peaks.
- In a separate bowl, mix the almond flour, egg yolks, cream, ginger and erthyritol (sugar substitute).
- Fold in the egg white mixture carefully (it will look like a meringue mixture).
- Put tablespoons of the mixture onto a greaseproof lined tray (although I think waxed paper would be better.).
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until golden and firm.
- Leave to cool and carefully remove from the paper...a palette knife would be great here. They are delicate! Be Warned!
- Sandwich together with cream and your filling of choice. Or just munch them on their own.
- Eat and enjoy!