I’ve been playing around with the flat bread dough which I make at least once a week, especially using it a pizza base when I need a quick supper dish. I added a few extra ingredients and voila! Tasty bread sticks! The Chief Taster and I almost wrestled each other to the ground over this batch as we found them addictive. The nicest gluten free bread sticks I’ve made so far…
The joy of adding psyllium power to a gluten flour mixture is that it makes the mixture like a stretchy dough. I use ground powder but am unsure whether just using the husks would be the same. If you try it, please let me know how it works out. I get my psyllium powder in the pharmacy section of my supermarket, in the “constipation” isle. It’s usually just me and a group of retired people reaching for a tub. I sometimes feel that I have to explain “I cook with it, and I cook a lot, honestly, I’m fine”!
The pesto and parmesan were my flavouring choice of the day…aka it’s what I had in the fridge! Feel free to take the bread stick mixture and play around with it. Actually, as I am typing up this recipe I am already thinking to myself of playing around with other flavours..so you might get more versions of this from me! Or perhaps a photo of the Chief Taster and I fighting over the last bread stick. Now, that’s a Christmas card picture everyone can enjoy..! Ha ha!
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 tblspns butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tspn baking powder
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 1 tblspn psyllium ground powder
- 1 cup boiling water (boil before it's required)
- 2 tblspn Pesto
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used fresh)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and combine well.
- Add the butter and eggs and mix thoroughly until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Boil the water and add to the mixture a bit at a time, stirring thoroughly until you have a dough.
- Take a small ball of the dough, about the size of a large walnut and roll out into a sausage shape.
- Spread the pesto over the top of the bread stick and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Place the bread sticks on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the bread sticks are golden.
- Eat and enjoy.
- Nutritional Info per bread stick - 87 Calories, 6g Fat, 3g Protein, 6g Carbs, 4g Fibre, 2g Net Carbs
If you enjoyed this recipe you can subscribe to Divalicious Recipes by email and never miss another recipe!
Follow me on Facebook for extra bits and fun!