This is a great comfort food dish and perks up the regular cauliflower cheese with the addition of a strong cheese and walnuts. I adore this dish and have to be restrained from eating the whole dish myself…I growl like a rabid dog if I have to share this…
I use Stilton as I like that strong cheese with walnuts, but if this is not for you, use Cheddar instead. The walnuts give the dish an extra crunch and taste.
1 head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
1 cup double cream
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1 tspn mustard
salt and pepper
- Place the cauliflower in a pan of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10-12 minutes until the cauliflower is tender. Drain.
- In another saucepan, heat the butter and cream until melted, then add the cream cheese.
- Season with the mustard, salt and pepper and stir until the cream cheese has melted.
- Add half of the stilton and stir until melted.
- Place the cauliflower into a oven dish.
- Spoon the cheese sauce over the cauliflower.
- Scatter the chopped walnuts and remaining Stilton cheese over the cauliflower.
- Place under a hot grill for 3-4 minutes until hot, bubbly and the nuts are slightly brown.
- Eat and enjoy!