A low carb flaxseed bread loaf flavoured with sundried tomatoes and olives for extra flavour.
I've been enjoying my flax seed rolls recently and wondered about using this mixture as a bread loaf. This was the finished result after a bit of experimentation with flavours. Flaxseed has it's own strong flavour so it was a challenge to find something that would sit aside this well.
My first attempt with pesto and parmesan was not a success as I was trying to do a swirl effect with the bread. I ended up scraping the cheese out of the loaf and eating it. The dough did roll up well though so I might have to try that again with another filling. Perhaps chopped nuts and a strong herb?
I wanted to have some strong flavours along with the flaxseed so settled with sun-dried tomatoes, olives and feta. This worked well but you could always omit the feta cheese since the strong flavours are the sundried tomatoes and olives.
I used golden flaxseed but feel free to use a darker one. I just prefer the taste golden flaxseed and it's easy enough to buy here which stops the sobbing when I am shopping when I can't get what I went out for. To me, the darker flaxseed has more of a rye bread flavour but that is probably more due to my eyes seeing the dark colour and telling my brain that's it's rye bread!
The smell of this bread is wonderful when it's cooking. So good that I munched a slice as soon as it came out of the oven. It was delicious just by itself with no topping. The next day I had a slice toasted with some scrambled eggs which was a tasty start to the day. Due to the high fibre content it kept me out of the fridge, looking for a snack mid morning. I must try this with some avocado on top too!
Sundried Tomato, Olives & Feta Flaxseed Bread
- 2 cups golden flaxseed flour
- 5 egg whites
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tblspns coconut oil or olive
- 1 tblspn baking powder
- 2 tblspns apple cider vinegar
- 2 tblspns psyllium husk powder
- ½ tspn salt
- 5-6 sundried tomatoes finely chopped
- ½ cup black olives chopped
- 75 g Feta cheese
- 1 tblspn dried oregano
- 1 tblspn dried thyme
- ½ cup boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Grease and line a small bread tin with parchment paper.
- Mix the flaxseed, baking powder and psyllium in a bowl.
- Add the eggs and oil and mix well until the mixture looks like wet breadcrumbs.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the mixture and combine thoroughly,
- Add the boiling water and stir until the mixture resembles a dough.
- Add the Feta cheese, olives and sun dried tomatoes to the dough.
- Spoon the mixture into the bread tin, pressing down with a spoon to ensure that it is even.
- Bake for 50 minutes until golden and firm.
- Eat, slice and enjoy!