Delicious keto hot cross buns are a delicious healthy low carb and gluten-free treat at Easter. Made with a Fathead dough recipe, they are best fresh from the oven and slathered with butter for the best taste!
A firm and delicious yeast free and sugar free hot cross bun, they are low in carbs and in protein. With a firm texture they are perfect to serve and slice in half for a buttery filling.
Baking low carb hot cross buns
The trick of a low carb hot cross bun is with the spices. The heady mix of cinnamon, all spice and mixed spices are a warm combination. As dried fruit is high in carbs, they are omitted from this recipe. I have included orange peel for a slight citrus flavour.
The traditional cross on the bun was made using an almond flour solution. I had previously tried to pipe it on the low carb hot cross buns but the mixture was a bit thick. So, I ended up gently rolling out little sections of the almond flour paste and spreading them out on the bun.
After the 4th attempt I felt happy with them. Until the Chief Taster commented that they needed working on. Brave words from a man who relies on the wife to feed him.
I stored the left over hot cross buns in the fridge in an airtight container and gave them a quick zap in the microwave to refresh them. Perhaps they could be sliced and toasted?
You could add chocolate chips if you wanted to see a replacement for the dried fruit, but I didn’t try it.
If you are missing raisins or other dried fruit in your hot cross buns, substitute them with dried cranberries for a healthier low carb option.
The coconut flour can be replaced with almond flour. You will need to increase the quantity to 1 cup, possibly 1 ½ cups.
More Low Carb Easter Recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Hot Cross Buns
- ½ cup Coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 2 tablespoons monkfruit sweetener or other low carb sweetener
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon All Spice or clove
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Mixed Spice or pumpkin spice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 medium Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese grated
- 2 oz Cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons Butter unsalted
- 4 tablespoons Almond flour
- 1 tablespoon Water
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- In a bowl mix the coconut flour, monkfruit sweetener, spices, orange peel, salt and baking powder.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix.
- In another bowl, place the mozzarella, butter and cream cheese.
- Microwave for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave and quickly stir. Add the coconut flour mixture and work into a dough.
- Create 6 balls from the dough and shape into a bun.
- Place the buns on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- To make the cross, mix the almond flour with the water until you have a thick paste. Either pipe onto the buns or gently roll into a strip and place on top of the bun, flattening out once in place.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.