Enjoy a keto hot cross buns at Easter. Made with a Fathead dough recipe, they are best fresh from the oven and slathered with butter.
Baking low carb hot cross buns
The trick of a low carb hot cross bun is with the spices. The heady mix of cinnamon, all spice and mixed spices are a warm combination. As dried fruit is high in carbs, they are omitted from this recipe. I have included orange peel for a slight citrus flavour.
The traditional cross on the bun was made using an almond flour solution. I had previously tried to pipe it on the low carb hot cross buns but the mixture was a bit thick. So, I ended up gently rolling out little sections of the almond flour paste and spreading them out on the bun.
After the 4th attempt I felt happy with them. Until the Chief Taster commented that they needed working on. Brave words from a man who relies on the wife to feed him.
You could add chocolate chips if you wanted to see a replacement for the dried fruit, but I didn’t try it.
I stored the left over hot cross buns in the fridge and gave them a quick zap in the microwave to refresh them. Perhaps they could be sliced and toasted?
The coconut flour can be replaced with almond flour. You will need to increase the quantity to 1 cup, possibly 1 ½ cups.
More Low Carb Easter Recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Hot Cross Buns
- ½ cup Coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 2 tablespoons monkfruit sweetener or other low carb sweetener
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon All Spice or clove
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Mixed Spice or pumpkin spice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 medium Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese grated
- 2 oz Cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons Butter unsalted
- 4 tablespoons Almond flour
- 1 tablespoon Water
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- In a bowl mix the coconut flour, monkfruit sweetener, spices, orange peel, salt and baking powder.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix.
- In another bowl, place the mozzarella, butter and cream cheese.
- Microwave for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave and quickly stir. Add the coconut flour mixture and work into a dough.
- Create 6 balls from the dough and shape into a bun.
- Place the buns on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- To make the cross, mix the almond flour with the water until you have a thick paste. Either pipe onto the buns or gently roll into a strip and place on top of the bun, flattening out once in place.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.