Making your own salad cream is easy and tastes like the real thing too! It's a classic British salad dressing with it's own distinctive taste.
Salad cream dressing makes a great keto dressing as it's just less than 1g net carb per serving. It's rich and creamy with a great tangy taste too.
Many Brits will have childhood memories of a bottle of salad cream on the table with salad and making sandwiches with it. A few years ago, the firm who make it announced that they were to discontinue it. Uproar ensued from the British public and it is still made today.
What is salad cream?
Salad cream has a tangy flavour. The consistency is nearly as creamy as mayonnaise. It is made with egg yolks, mustard, cream and white wine vinegar. A lot easy than making mayonnaise too!
The cream used to make this is normally double cream. Double cream is found in the UK and is slightly thicker than the US whipping cream. In the recipe card below I've mentioned both types.
What to serve it with
As well as pouring it over a hearty salad, this homemade dressing can be used just like mayonnaise.
- Use in a cauliflower "potato" salad.
- Serve as a dip with vegetable crudites.
- It's great in an egg salad. Use the egg whites from the hardboiled eggs for a quick egg salad too!
- Use with shredded rotisserie chicken for a quick chicken salad.
More low carb salad dressing recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Homemade Salad Cream
- 4 hard boiled egg yolks
- 100 ml cream heavy (USA)/ double (UK)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a medium bowl, mash the egg yolks with a knife.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of the cream and mix into a smooth paste.
- Add the mustard and remaining cream and mix.
- Add the white wine vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper and mix until smooth.
- Taste and adjust for own preference. If you want it sweeter add low carb sweetener.