A classic green bean side dish baked with a flourless cheese sauce made into a low carb recipe.
The traditional green bean casserole seems to be made with a tin of mushroom soup, but not in my house. No tins of soup in my cupboards…heaven forbid!
So I thought I would have a play with this dish without the soup and keep it low carb, gluten free and tasty. The result was a heavenly dish which I could easily eat by itself rather than a side dish! I will warn you…this is moreish, and you will wonder how on earth you managed to eat a whole dish of green beans to yourself…or perhaps that was just me!!
Instead of making a soup or sauce I used cream cheese. It melts as a sauce and you could alway add mushrooms or even bacon to this dish if you wanted.
Green Bean Casserole
- 4 cups Green beans topped and tailed
- 1 onion peeled & sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1.5 cups cream heavy/whipping
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Place the green beans in a saucepan of water and boil for 2 -3 minutes until the beans are slightly tender. Drain and set aside
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion until golden and brown.
- Place the green beans in a casserole dish,
MAKE THE SAUCE
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the cream and stir constantly.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and cream cheese. Season with the garlic powder and salt & pepper. Stir until the cheese has melted.
- Spoon the cheese sauce over the green beans
- Place the cooked onion over the top of the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.