The traditional green bean casserole seems to be made with a tin of mushroom soup, but not in my house. No tins of soup in my cupboards…heaven forbid!
So I thought I would have a play with this dish without the soup and keep it low carb, gluten free and tasty. The result was a heavenly dish which I could easily eat by itself rather than a side dish! I will warn you…this is moreish, and you will wonder how on earth you managed to eat a whole dish of green beans to yourself…or perhaps that was just me!!
Instead of making a soup or sauce I used cream cheese. It melts as a sauce and you could alway add mushrooms or even bacon to this dish if you wanted.
750g (26oz) green beans, topped and tailed
200g (7oz) cream cheese
2 onions, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup (3/4oz) Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 tspn garlic powder
salt and pepper
1 – 2 tblspns olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Place the green beans in a saucepan of water and boil for 2 -3 minutes until the beans are slightly tender. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion until golden and brown.
- Place the green beans in a casserole dish, season with the garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Drop dots of cream cheese over the beans, then sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Place the cooked onion over the top of the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!