These red velvet thumbprint cookies are baked from cream cheese and are a colourful, tasty low carb and gluten free cookie.
I have been having fun playing around with the cream cheese cookie recipe and this was an afternoon of enjoyment. Albeit, a slight stained hand fun as I was foolish not to wear gloves when mixing the food colouring and the dough.
When these red velvet thumbprint cookies are baking in the oven they smell so delicious. Is there nothing lovelier than the smell of cookies baking? The best thing about these thumbprint cookies is that they are only 2g net carbs each.
Although I filled these thumbprint cookies with a creamy vanilla cream cheese mixture, I think a chocolate flavour one would be delicious. Just add a tablespoon of cocoa powder to the filling mixture and adjust the sweetness to your taste.
- 8 oz (224g) Cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup (113g) Butter, unsalted room temperature
- 1/2 cup (113g) Erythritol or low carb sweetener
- 1/2 cup (56g) Coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Cocoa powder unsweetened
- 3-4 drops Red food colouring
- 4 oz (112g) Cream cheese softened
- 2 oz (56g) Butter softened
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons Cream whipping/heavy
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Blend the butter and cream cheese together.
- Add the erythritol and continue to blend.
- Add the vanilla, coconut flour, cocoa and food colouring
- Blend until combined.
- Roll walnut sized balls of the dough. It helps to wet your hands first to do this.
- Place the balls onto a parchment paper lined tray.
- With a damp finger, poke holes in the dough.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.
- Set aside to cool.
- Blend all the filling ingredients together. A hand-held blender will make the smoothest result.
- Pipe the mixture into the centre of the cookie.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Check on Amazon