A chocolate and orange muffin made with hazelnut flour. These three flavours together are something special and utterly delicious.
There is a cake I make using a whole orange, which is boiled for an hour and blended to add to the cake mixture. As I like the flavour combination of orange and hazelnuts I thought I'd try the boiled orange approach, but bake it in muffin form.
The smell of the orange boiling is just wonderful and scents up your house with citrus smells. So much cheaper than an expensive candle too! Yes, I too am guilty of spending a silly amount on a fancy candle in the past. Now times are harder I'm reduced to boiling citrus fruits in the kitchen and pretending it's a new Diptyque candle covering the lingering aroma of dog walked on the beach.
This is a very moist muffin which is better the next day if you can last that long. It's more of a rich cake than a muffin and I must get round to baking this again but pouring it into a cake tin, covering it with chocolate and giving it another name!
A chocolate topping would have been nice but I was trying to keep it simple as the three strong flavours of hazelnut, orange and chocolate are enough. Then again, a vanilla topping would be delicious.
You may want a little bit longer to cook these as they are moist and ovens do vary. Pop a wooden toothpick in them after 30 minutes to see if they are cooked through. If not, give them another 10 minutes.
Although I loved the flavours of these muffins the Chief Taster did not exactly fall over them. After checking his temperature and Googling his symptoms, he appeared to be in good health but would have preferred this as a cake. A muffin was like a sample of cake in a supermarket for him.
Chocolate and Orange Muffins
- 1 orange
- 1 cup hazelnut flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup erthyritol or sugar substitute of your choice
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tspn baking powder
- 1/2 tspn salt
- Place the orange in a saucepan of water and ensure that it is covered and bring to the boil.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for an hour until the orange is soft.
- Remove the orange from the saucepan and set aside to cool.
- Once the orange is cool, either use a food processor or hand blender to blitz it until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Mix the hazelnut flour, salt, erthyritol, baking powder and cocoa powder in a bowl.
- Add the butter and eggs and stir well.
- Add the orange mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Pour into muffin cases and bake for 25-35 minutes until firm.