I’ve been playing around with ground chia seed as a flour and added some coconut flour to bake a moist and delicious brownie. I was so pleased with my first batch that somehow we ate the whole lot before I could get round to taking a photograph of them. So I baked another batch the next day. It’s with a small degree of shame that I confess we also ate these before taking a photograph. Finally, another batch was made and I managed to whip out my camera before eating them!
I used my coffee grinder to grind the chia seeds to a fine powder. The Chief Taster said he could taste a slight nuttiness of the chia but I think he was looking for the taste once I told him what was in the brownies (he’s not a fan of chia). I find whisking the ingredients help to make the brownie light but you could just as easily used a spoon and a strong arm! They are delicious warm and also seem to improve the next day (I only found this out on my third batch…much to my shame!)
Chocolate and Coffee Brownies (Coconut Flour & Chia Seed)
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup ground chia seed
1/4 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
1/2 cup erythritol (or sugar substitute of your choice)
1/2 cup butter, melted
3oz chocolate (I used dark, high cocoa solids)
1/2 tspn salt
1/2 tspn baking soda
Additional chocolate (if required) – about 6 squares
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Place the butter and chocolate in a bowl over simmering water. Stir gently as it melts. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk the eggs and erythritol in a bowl until blended and light in colour.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture and whisk until blended.
- Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Place the mixture into a greased cake/brownie tin. For extra chocolately brownies, break up a few squares of chocolate and poke into the mixture (Purely optional – you could add nuts too).
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!
Makes 9 brownies
Nutrition per serving: 221 Calories, 19g Fat; 5g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carb
If you enjoyed this recipe you can subscribe to Divalicious Recipes by email and never miss a recipe!
Follow me on Facebook for extra bits and fun!