A blackened cauliflower recipe that makes a great side dish but is equally as delicious by itself. I could (and did) happily eat a bowl of it by itself. Roasting a cauliflower brings out a nutty taste and to add these spices makes it a great flavour combination. It has a warm heat that is not going to blow your socks off but will alight your taste buds.
Low Carb & Gluten Free
The inspiration for this dish came from the constant cooking of my blackened salmon dish for the Chief Taster. It can be very frustrating not tasting a dish and relying on another person's comments. I will often quiz him on a meat and fish dish with such vigour and throw so many questions at him that it may just turn him vegetarian just for an easier life. Especially when I shine the torch into his face and demand answers if I get the reply "it's nice"!
So what better vegetable to try this with then my favourite! The versatile cauliflower! I must confess that I had tried to cut cauliflower steaks to make this recipe a blackened cauliflower steak version but they crumbled all around me. Whilst I quietly (okay, loudly) cursed the vegetable I then waved my knife around like a Samurai warrior and behold, the dish became a cauliflower floret! If you can cut your cauliflower into steaks, then try roasting it in the spices for a delicious main dish. Please feel free to send me your photos, to show me how it should be done!
Paleo & Vegan
- 1 half head cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ground paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof or parchment paper
- Mix the seasoning ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add the oil until you have a paste.
- Place the cauliflower florets into the bowl and cover with the spice mixture.
- Scatter the cauliflower over the baking tray and bake for 45 minutes, turning over half way through.
- Eat and enjoy!