Almond meal pulp and zucchini falafels are a great way to use up left over almond meal.
I like to make my own almond milk as that way I know that there has been nothing unnatural sneaked it but it hurts me to throw away the left over almond meal. I tried to make a cracker with it which did not work out well. I would rather lick the conveyor belt at the supermarket then eat those again (not every recipe is a success!).
Finally, I made a lovely savoury dish from the almond meal so it’s not gone to waste. I am also missing a decent falafel since moving away from the Middle East, and this was a half decent substitute (you still cannot beat the real thing). More importantly for me, it is a great low carb version of falafel. Perfect with a cauliflower wrap and salad. It works out to be about 2 net carbs per falafel. Nom nom!
The added zucchini gives the falafel the moistness you normally get from the chickpeas when you are making the traditional version with chickpeas. As ever, it’s a great way to sneak vegetables into a dish! More importantly, a tasty way to use up the almond meal from home made almond milk! I’m still unsure how to categorize these, a vegetarian side dish, main or a snack? I eat them in all three categories!
- 1/2 Cup almond meal pulp (leftover from making almond milk)
- 20 g coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup zucchini grated
- 1 tablespoon parsley, fresh chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander, (cilantro), fresh chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- Place all of the ingredients, except the baking soda and coconut flour in a food processor and blitz until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a bowl and add the baking soda and coconut. Mix well. Add more coconut flour if required.
- Take about a tablespoon of the mixture, and make into balls, flattening slightly.
- Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm.
- Heat the olive oil on a medium heat in a frying pan.
- Fry the falafel on both side for until golden and firm.
- Eat and enjoy!
Follow me on Facebook for extra bits and fun! https://www.facebook.com/DivaliciousRecipes