Lemon and basil is a flavouring that is usually used for sauces but I thought I’d put it in a muffin. It works, with the sweet taste having a slight savoury aftertaste of the basil. It’s a taste of Spring in your mouth! I half expected the Chief Taster to throw them across the room and demand chocolate, but he loved them and munched them with relish. I decorated mine with a lemon cream cheese glaze but you could happily serve them plain. Or with the topping of your choice…go crazy and get creative!
2 cups almond flour
2 tspn baking powder
1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup erthyritol (or sugar substitute of your choice)
1/4 cup water
Juice and rind from 2 lemons
2 tblspn fresh basil, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Mix the almond flour, baking powder and salt together.
- In another bowl mix the butter, water, eggs, erythritol, lemon zest, lemon juice.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together, and stir well.
- Add the basil and blend well.
- Pour the mixture into a muffin tin.
- Bake for 20 to 23 minutes until firm.
- Eat and enjoy!
Makes 8 to 10 muffins.