Since I have a surplus of dessicated coconut and there are only so many macaroons you can make, so I tried these tartlets to use up the surplus. The coconut is used to make the tart cases and holds up very well. The chocolate filling is delicious and I did make one version with a large dash of rum (naughty but nice).
I used a muffin tin to make this but you could use a mini muffin tin to make small dainty ones. Hey, who I am kidding, make them large and glorious! Although coconut is fairly low carb, chocolate is not, so perhaps to keep the carbs lower, cocoa powder instead could be used.
Coconut and Chocolate Tartlets
2 egg whites
2 1/2 cups dessicated coconut
1/2 cup cream
1 tspn sweetner (I used stevia but feel free to use your own choice)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Whisk the egg whites and add the sweetner.
- Fold the mixture into the dessicated coconut.
- Grease a muffin tin lightly.
- Place a large tablespoon of the coconut mixture into the muffin tin and press down to make the tartlet shell. Add more mixture if necessary.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until slightly golden. Cool in the tin.
- Gently heat the cream and add the vanilla and chocolate.
- Stir until the chocolate has melted then pour into the coconut cups.
- Chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Remove from the tin, eat and enjoy!
If you enjoyed this recipe you can subscribe to Divalicious Recipes by email and never miss another recipe!
Follow me on Facebook for extra bits and fun!