This walnut brownie and coffee cheesecake blends together two low carb and gluten free desserts into one.
Whilst out shopping in Price Mart I came across a massive bag of walnuts for such a reasonable price I instinctively threw the bag into my shopping trolley, then started to day dream about what I could do with them when I was queuing to stop me losing the will to live. Many souls have been destroyed in those shopping queues. Mainly husbands who have been dragged out on the weekly shop and become as fidgety as a 3-year-old on sugar.
One of the regular cakes that our parents baked was the classic walnut and coffee so immediately thought that I would do something with coffee to these big bag of walnuts. I had never used walnuts as a flour but by now, know my way around a nut flour. Failing that I should close the blog and throw the towel in!
I love combining brownies with a cheesecake mixture because, well, brownie and a cheesecake! So, I ground up the walnuts to a flour, added a coffee cheesecake topping, threw it in the oven, stood back and hoped for the best.
Sometimes when you are experimenting with a recipe, you know before it goes into the oven that it's going to be good. You still have a slight fear that the temperature might be misjudged during the bake and pace about the kitchen a little. This was one of these moments. When the baked dish came out, I was still a bit nervous as the centre had a slight wobble, but who doesn't! ha ha!
I started to cool the brownie on the kitchen top and went against my initial judgement to leave it to cool in the fridge overnight, and cut a piece warm. It was delicious and as I was munching my second piece, just to make sure it tasted delicious, the Chief Taster came in to moan about how I never let him eat anything straight from the oven and enforce strict rules of cooling and no tasting before photographs. I would have replied but I was busy munching!
Once he prized the tin from my oven glove clad hands, the tin went into the fridge overnight. It was just as lovely with the creamy coffee cheesecake topping just simply going so well with the walnut brownie base. The walnuts baked wonderfully, so much so, that I may introduce them into my staple recipe options, price permitting though! I put the remaining pieces in the freezer and they are also just as lovely frozen. So you can be comfortable in whipping up a batch of these, and freezing some to snack on later that week or month!
Walnut & Coffee Cheesecake Brownie
- 8 ozs cream cheese softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons strong espresso coffee
- ¼ cup erythritol or sugar substitute
- 2 Cups walnut flour (ground walnuts)
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ¼ cup erythritol or sugar substitute
- ⅓ cup coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degree
- Grease and line a baking or brownie tin with greaseproof paper. I use a square baking tin, because it's easier to cut into squares!
- Mix 2 eggs, butter and coconut milk in a bowl. I use a hand held electric whisk but a strong will and spoon would do!
- Add the baking powder, walnut flour and salt and stir until smooth.
- In another bowl, add the cream cheese, egg, coffee and sugar substitute and blend until smooth.
- Pour the brownie mixture into the baking/brownie tin and spread evenly.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture on top and gently smooth over the brownie mixture.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Cut into squares and top with a piece of walnut.
- Eat and enjoy!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
[amazon_link asins='B077WYSJ23,B00TSOI9VQ,B014MHI4PY' template='ProductCarousel' store='divaliciou04c-20' marketplace='US' link_id='75f275d7-d401-11e8-8943-07ce9890540d']