These delightful mini cinnamon rolls are just divine and low carb too! We found them very filling and I ate a few during the course of taste tasting ...ahem. I could not have eat dinner that night as I was too full; the joy of coconut flour and psyllium powder! However, I shamefully ate another before I went to bed as I opened the fridge, looked at the remaining ones and gave one a good home.
I used my mini muffin tin to bake these little beauties in but you could use a regular muffin tin or even just place them on a parchment lined baking tin. You might want to add more cinnamon and sweetener to the filling to adjust to your own tastes. I was sprinkling cinnamon over mine like it was on sale!
I have not tried these with almond flour, but I can't see why it can't be used instead of the coconut flour. I'd use more of it though than the coconut flour; perhaps another 1/4 of a cup and reduce the water. If you wanted to keep the recipe Paleo, then you can use honey as a sweetener, and use a topping without cream cheese. Maybe a cashew nut cream?
As ever with using this type of dough, you will need to roll it out using parchment paper. Nothing else will do and it will stick!
Mini Cinnamon Rolls
- 3 tablespoons Cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons Erythritol or sugar substitute of your choice
- 2 oz Cream cheese softened
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons Coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon Ground erythritol or sugar substitute of your choice
- 1 tablespoon Water optional, depending upon how thin you want your topping
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C/385F degrees and grease your muffin tin.
- Mix the coconut flour, psyllium powder, baking powder, salt and erythritol together.
- Add the eggs, butter and coconut milk and blend together so it resembles breadcrumbs or a partial dough.
- Add the boiling water, gradually, a bit at a time, until you have a dough consistency. (You may not need all the water so don't pour it all in at once).
- Lay a piece of parchment paper on your kitchen surface.
- Take a small handful of the dough and make a thick sausage shape. Place this on the parchment paper. Place another piece of parchment paper over the dough and gently roll into a long rectangle, about two inches wide.
- Trim the edges to make them straight. Sprinkle with cinnamon and erythritol.
- Using the bottom parchment paper, roll up the dough like a swiss roll.
- Cut into half and place each "roll" in the muffin tin (or on parchment lined baking tin).
- Repeat until all the dough is used.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- To make the topping, blend the cream cheese, vanilla essence and ground erythritol together.
- Add the coconut oil, then add water to achieve the consistency you desire.
- Either pipe or drizzle over your buns. Or smear like butter!
- Eat and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
Follow me on Facebook for extra bits and fun! https://www.facebook.com/DivaliciousRecipes