Enjoy these low carb mini muffins for portion control as well as a taste of a delicious berry muffin. These low carb berry muffins are baked with coconut flour and are gluten free too.
Mini muffin tin
Using my mini muffin tin these low carb mini berry muffins are topped with a cream cheese and coconut topping are a great mini treat. Cute to look at and perfect for an elegant tea party. You can honestly say that you put a whole muffin in your mouth at once!
I am deliberately making this my last post of 2016 as an homage to my hairdresser in Barbados, Gregory, who sadly was quickly taken away from us in 2016 with cancer. He was such a character and the first local person on the island who made me feel welcome. As soon as I walked into his salon I had found my "people". His salon was alongside his house and I loved that he had his dogs were in there and the leopard print gowns were just perfect for a diva!
When I received a request from Gregory asking me if I would make him a dessert as he was enjoying looking at my sweet recipes and desserts were not his strength in the kitchen. I was happy to bake and came up with a couple of recipes for him and this was one of them. A large dessert was not practical as I knew his generosity, predicting that he would end up giving anything I baked away. If I made small treats, there was a big chance that he would eat some himself!
Although Gregory wanted something sweet I was not going to give him any high fructose fruit so thought of berries. Berries are perfect in mini muffin form too. Unsweetened desiccated coconut is added to the cream cheese topping for additional taste and texture.
As well as mini muffin form this mixture could be baked in regular muffin tins too.
Tips & Suggestions
When you use a mini muffin tin I recommend that you use muffin cases as they will be easier to ease out of the tin. Let them cool down too as if you try to peel off the cases whilst warm, half the muffin will come off in the paper.
So as we say farewell to 2016, I am saying a final farewell to an amazing person who had a huge impact upon my time in Barbados. With these muffins I will always remember you Gregory.
Other low carb mini muffins & cupcakes
Low Carb Mini Berry Muffins
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons erythritol or sugar substitute of your choice
- 2 tablespoon desiccated coconut unsweetened
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Blend together the butter, eggs, erythritol, coconut milk, and vanilla essence.
- Add the coconut flour, baking powder and salt, and whisk until there are no lumps and there is a smooth batter.
- Gentle add the berries and mix well.
- Spoon a large teaspoon of the mixture into cupcake cups. You may want to move the berries about to ensure even coverage.
- Bake for 20 minutes and allow to cool.
- Blend the topping ingredients together until smooth and there are no lumps. Add any extra cream cheese if the mixture is too weak.
- Pipe or spoon over the muffin tops and sprinkle the desiccated coconut over the topping.
- Eat and enjoy!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.