These brain cupcakes are a fun keto Halloween dessert. Baked with coconut flour they are also good for a gluten free Halloween party.
A chocolate coconut flour cupcake has a sugar free pink cream cheese frosting piped in the shape of a brain. Drip a little raspberry juice over the top of the brain cupcakes for a gory effect!
How to frost a cupcake to look like a brain
Make sure your frosting is thick to pipe. If it is too runny, it won't hold the brain shape (there's a sentence I never thought I would type!).
I used a cream cheese frosting but a low carb buttercream frosting will work too.
I smother the cupcake with a circle of frosting before piping the brain to give it a little height. Then I pipe a line down the middle for the brain stem. Wiggly lines are then piped on either side of the stem. I finish off by piping over the stem for further defintion.
If at first the piping doesn't work, scrape it off and start again. It took me a couple of "wiggly" attempts to get something that looked like a brain.
Drizzle a bit of raspberry juice over the icing for an additional effect. You could use the raspberry juice to colour the piping too.
More keto Halloween recipes
Chocolate Covered Cream Cheese Bites
Keto Brain Cupcakes
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup erythritol or other low carb sweetener
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 4 medium eggs
- 3 tablespoon coconut milk tinned
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- ¼ cup whipping/heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon erythritol, powdered or other low carb sweetener
- 3-4 drops red food colouring
Make the Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 180C/375F degrees.
- In a bowl, whisk the butter and erythritol until smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time whilst still whisking.
- Add the coconut flour, cocoa powder, coconut milk, baking powder and salt and whisk until smooth.
- Line a muffin tin with 9 cupcake liners
- Spoon the cupcake mixture into the cupcake liners evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until firm.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
Making the Brain Frosting
- Place the cream cheese, butter, cream and powdered erythritol in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add drops of the red food colouring and mix until the pink colour you want is achieved.
Piping the Brain Frosting
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of the frosting on the top of the cupcake and cover the centre.
- Place the frosting in a piping bag with a circular nozzle.
- Pipe a line down the center of the cupcake.
- Pipe a squiggly line on the right side of the line and then to the left of the line.
- Pipe another line over the center line.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Leave a Reply