Ginger cakes with lime balance well together in this low carb and gluten free cake. The topping is optional but I advise you have it.
This recipe is based on an old low carb coconut flour recipe for mini cakes I have (and I must redo the photo as it's an earlier post so it's ghastly. Which probably applies to most of my earlier gluten free postings too!). I tweaked it a bit and added both fresh and ground ginger which resulted in a moist and tasy cake. It's not quite a muffin, not yet a cupcake, so I am calling it a cake. Either way, it is sweet and tasty!
We both fought over "tasting" these and the Chief Taster declared them a perfect balance. The ginger is delicious but the lime topping goes so well. There's something about lime and ginger that just works! Feel free to serve them with no topping or either another topping that you would like along with ginger. Low carb cakes have never tasted so good!
- 1/4 cup (28g) Coconut flour
- 1/4 cup (56g) Butter melted
- 1/4 cup (28g) Low Carb Sweetener
- 2 tablespoons Coconut milk
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Ginger, ground
- 1 teaspoon Grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 oz (56g) Cream cheese softened
- 1 - 2 tablespoons Lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon low carb sweetener
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Blend together the butter, eggs, erythritol, coconut milk, salt and vanilla.
- Add the coconut flour, baking powder, fresh and dry ginger and whisk until there are no lumps and it is a smooth batter.
- Pour into greased cupcake cups or greased muffin tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes and allow to cool.
- Blend the topping ingredients until smooth. I used a hand blender but feel free to do an upper arm workout and try it with a fork/spoon!
- Slather the topping over the cakes (or pipe it, my piping bag had to be thrown out so I had to slather!)
- Eat and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
Products from Amazon.com