Coffee doughnuts baked with coconut flour are a healthy way to start the day and get your caffeine kick!
One morning I had a hankering for a doughnut and a coffee so thought why don’t I combine the two? I was driving past Dunkin Donuts at the time, so that’s probably what put the idea into my heat. A coffee doughnut would make a great breakfast on the go whilst giving you that kick you need.
I must be careful with my caffeine intake as it will keep me up all night if I have any after 2pm. So, this is a breakfast treat for me. Unless I am up late trying to write up a recipe then I need all the help I can get. Especially when being interrupted by the mini zoo.
The donut mixture is a great recipe and if you are not too keen on coffee, have a play around with it and use another flavour instead of the coffee. Cocoa powder works well too. Baked donuts are a healthier alternative to the deep-fried ones. Well, let’s all be honest, it’s a type of cake baked into a donut shape tin! It’s a mind over matter approach!
The topping is a delicious cream cheese topping that I wanted to imitate an iced doughnut topping. But without the powdered sugar. I initially mixed all the topping ingredients together, but the mixture was too thick. So, I melted it in the microwave until it was between liquid and soft. Dunked the coffee doughnuts into the topping and voila! A shiny and tasty coffee topping too!
- 2 oz (56g) Cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon Erythritol low carb sweetener
- 1-2 teaspoons Coffee, strong (to your taste) Liquid form
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Mix the coconut flour, erythritol, baking soda and salt together.
- Add the eggs, coconut milk, butter and coffee. Blend until there are no lumps (you may find it easier if you use a blender).
- Grease the donut tin with butter.
- Fill the donut tin with the donut batter. Bake for 20 minutes until firm.
- Allow to cool and remove from the tin.
- Topping is optional
- For the topping, melt the cream cheese in either a microwave or over a bowl of boiling water. You want it very soft, not liquid.
- Add the coffee and erythritol and mix well.
- Spoon the topping over the donuts.
- Eat and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
[amazon_link asins='B000YF99GM,B004CYELOQ,B000Z978SS' template='ProductCarousel' store='divaliciou04c-20' marketplace='US' link_id='b959597a-e44b-11e7-9486-7d7988131fa9']