These are yummy sandwich cookies with a creamy coconut filling. Low carb, gluten free goodness! And my favourite sugar substitute erythritol again. You CAN eat delicious cookies without fear of the scales the next morning or a sudden sugar rush!
I like the filling as it reinforces my love of coconut and all that is good with it! I am using xanthan gum here for a binding agent. I sometimes use this in my pastry recipes and purchase this from my local organic health store. For the ground erythritol I simply process granulated erythritol in a blender until it looks like icing sugar. I may play around with these cookies too...am thinking something ginger with either a lemon or lime filling...mmmm..
Coconut Cream Cookies
- 1 3/4 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1/4 cup erythritol, ground low carb sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 medium egg beaten
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/3 cup erythritol, ground low carb sweetener
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut unsweetened
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F degrees.
- Mix the almond flour, cocoa powder, erythritol, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum.
- Add the egg, coconut oil, vanilla extract and stir until the mixture becomes a dough.
- Roll 1 inch balls of the mixture and place on a parchment baking sheet (on a baking tray).
- Flatten the balls out with the palm of your hand to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes and let cool on the pan.
- Make the filling by mixing the coconut oil and powdered erythritol. Add the vanilla, coconut milk and grated coconut until smooth.
- Spread the mixture onto a cookie and top with another cookie to make a sandwich.