A chocolate raspberry slice recipe that has a raspberry cheesecake filling in between two light chocolate sponges. Baked with coconut flour, this recipe is low carb and gluten free.
I just love chocolate and raspberries as a flavour combination. Raspberries go so well with white chocolate, milk chocolate and dark chocolate, but since we are trying to be in a sugarless world here, it’s dark chocolate for us!
This chocolate raspberry slice came about as I was thinking of making a cheesecake but also wanted a sponge. Why not put them together? The result was a delicious dessert that is a delicious as it is pretty to look at. I used coconut flour as it’s my favourite low carb flour. The Chief Taster was requesting for peanut flour as that is currently his favourite flour. Since I wear the apron in our house, I win what goes into the mixing bowl. He might get a version of this with peanut flour later down the line.
I separated the eggs to whip up the egg whites to make the sponge lighter. It’s my roulade obsession creeping into cake making. Perhaps this is a secret about low carb cake making that no-one has told me about it. It gives the sponge such a light, yet flexible texture. A chocolate roulade with a raspberry filling would be delicious and is on my large list of roulades to make.
Chocolate Raspberry Slice
As with most sponge and cheesecake recipes, this freezes very well. There are only so many sweet dishes I can eat and was in the middle of a heavy baking session when I made these. Even the Chief Taster was groaning when he looked at the selection of dishes in the kitchen whilst I demanded he ate and gave me feedback. The bossy German side of me lights up in the kitchen at times! Poor man. So, the surplus chocolate raspberry slices were wrapped in foil and frozen. Once frozen, these chocolate raspberry slices transformed into ice cream cake slices. You could wait for them to defrost but we don’t have the patience when it comes to desserts!
A warning as they can be messy to eat (unless frozen). When you cut into them, the filling may ooze out a bit. That’s part of the fun of a messy dessert though. I also pondered about these with a chocolate ganache on the top but was trying to keep the carbs down a bit with this raspberry slice recipe. Don’t rule it out though!
Chocolate Raspberry Slice
- ¼ cup (28g) coconut flour
- 4 eggs separated
- ¼ cup (21g) cocoa powder unsweetened
- ½ cup (113g) butter softened
- ½ cup erythritol
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4oz 113g cream cheese softened
- 6oz 170g raspberries
- ½ cup (60g) heavy/whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons erythritol ground
Make the Sponge
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Cream the butter and the erythritol together.
- Add the egg yolks and mix well.
- Add the baking powder, coconut flour, salt and cocoa powder. Mix well.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the cocoa mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Grease and line a rectangle baking tray with parchment paper.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the tin and smooth out evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes until firm.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Make the Filling:
- Blend the cream cheese, erythritol and raspberries together. (I use a hand blender but you could mash away with a fork if need be!).
- Whip the cream into stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the cream into the cream cheese mixture.
Assemble the Slicce
- Cut the sponge into half-length wise.
- Then cut the sponge into half, then two more slices either side. This should give you 6 slices.
- Spoon the raspberry mixture onto one half of the sponge mixture evenly.
- Place in the fridge for a couple of hours to firm up.
- Remove from the fridge and place the other half of the sponge on top of the cheesecake mixture.
- Separate the slices and smooth any overfilling edges.
- Eat and enjoy!
What about using frozen raspberries or would they be too ‘juicy’ Angela?
They should be fine.
Wow this is delicious...... tastes sooooo much like a real cake ........I didn't have fresh raspberries so I used sugar-free strawberry jam and half the cream cheese and half container of Cool Whip
Glad you like it! It's a sponge that could fool the wheat eaters!!