This cauliflower hummus is an easy low carb dip and loosely basic on the delicious Middle Eastern dip. It's a simple recipe that is great with low carb chips or flat bread.
The word "hummus" is in quotes as hummus is Arabic for chickpeas and this dish does not contain chickpeas. As with most dishes, I often think to myself "can this be made with cauliflower for a low carb option?". I came across this recipe on the wonderful site of I Breath I'm Hungry which answered my question with a loud "yes, it certainly can, and it's tasty. Now you are here, look through all the lovely photos and make your stomach rumble".
Ignore that the dish looks a bit like cold mash potato and tuck in. I gave a sample of the cauliflower hummus to the Chief Taster hesitantly thinking I was going to get it thrown back at me with some comment about the appearance, but got a request for more, which then developed into a whine for even more when I cut him off (it was meant to be an appetizer whilst I was preparing our main meal).
Low Carb Cauliflower Hummus
- 1 cauliflower cut into florets
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 cloves garlic peeled & chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- Place the cauliflower, half of the olive oil, 3 garlic cloves, water and salt in a microwaveable dish, and cook in the microwave for 15 mins.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blitz in a food processor or blender (I used a hand blender to get a more smooth consistency). You may want to add any additional olive oil for a consistency that you like.
- Eat and enjoy!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.