Chia seeds make a great dip and this eggplant dip is flavoured with cajun spices.
I've been playing around with "Cajun" spices and discovered that they go very well with eggplant. So thought I'd make a dip and throw in some chia seeds too!
I peeled the skin as just lately the eggplants that I get from my vegetable market have had bitter skins. Plus I don't think that the skins have any place in a dip! I've been enjoying this dip with some flaxseed crackers but it would be great as a sandwich spread too. Or with some crudities.
I just loved the smokey spices of this dip. The chia seeds give this a slight crunch too. Eggplants soak up oil like a sponge so you may want to add more than suggested in the ingredients below.
I've finally succumbed and stopped calling this vegetable aubergines and now call them eggplant! I seem to be losing my "Britishness" whilst living abroad!
Cajun Eggplant & Chia Seed Dip
- 1 small eggplant peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 to mato diced
- 2 tblspn chia seeds
- 2 tblspn water
- 1 tspn ground cumin
- 1 tspn ground coriander
- 1 tspn paprika
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 1/4 tspn black pepper
- 1/4 tspn dried oregano
- 4 tblspn olive oil
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on a medium heat.
- Add the eggplant and gently fry until golden.
- Add the tomato and spices and cook for 3 minutes until soft.
- Add the water and chia seeds, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, let cool. Then blend using a hand blender or food processor until smooth.
- Eat and enjoy!