Cheese puffs that are a healthier and low carb version of store bought ones. Simply to make too.
This recipe has been on the Low Carb boards for ages so I thought I would give it a try. However, it calls for popcorn seasoning which I do not use (nor would I know where to buy it or would I want to). I mixed up my own flavourings. You could vary the spices to your own taste. These are a very low carb version of “Cheetos” but with a home made flavouring. Since the cheese needs to be frozen, I normally do this overnight, but it will probably take a few hours depending upon your freezer.
As this mixture is piped, you can play around with the shapes if you are feeling creative. Your own intials for some fun would be cool!! Or heart shapes for your own Chief Taster! Perhaps play around with the shapes for Halloween?
- 3 egg whites
- ⅛ tspn cream of tartar
- 2oz cheddar cheese, shredded and frozen
- Seasonings to taste...I used
- ½ tspn garlic powder
- ½ tspn cayenne powder
- ½ tspn onion powder
- 2 tblspns grated Parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 150C/300F degrees.
- Place the egg whites in a bowl, add the cream of tartar and whisk until firm peaks.
- Put the frozen cheese into a food processor and blend until finely ground.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the egg white mixture and gently fold it in, being careful not to lose the consistency of the eggs.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag. Try to keep the piping bag from pressing down on the batter so that the cheese puffs come out as thick as possible otherwise they tend to flatten a bit while baking.
- Lightly sprinkle with the seasoning.
- Bake for 25 minutes until firm and crisp.
- Eat and enjoy!
If you enjoyed this recipe you can subscribe to Divalicious Recipes by email and never miss another recipe!
Follow me on Facebook for extra bits and fun! https://www.facebook.com/DivaliciousRecipes
If you make this, share it! Tag your photo on Instagram with #divaliciousrecipes