A light, yet filling frittata with zucchini, feta and dill making it a delicious summer choice.
One of the vegetable stalls in my local market suddenly is stocking zucchini. This is a rarity and almost unheard of. After 10 minutes of loud sobbing involving the local police prising me off the vendor whilst I was hanging onto her with a “thank you” hug, I returned home with a large bag of locally grown zucchini. Then I had to think what to do with it.
There is a zucchini ricotta cake that I want to redo but annoyingly for me, the island is out of ricotta. I cannot buy a tub of it anywhere. Believe, me I’ve performed the 3 hour tour of checking all stores. So I need to wait until the next shipment before I can bake anything with ricotta. I think I’ve seen a recipe on how to make your own ricotta so perhaps I need to look at that.
After I had finished sulking and stopped calling the port authorities about their next shipment, my thoughts then went to a frittata. If I can’t bake some zucchini in ricotta, then eggs will do! As ever, if in doubt, throw the vegetables in a frittata.
The end result was delicious and everything I hoped it would be. There is something about dill that can be an acquired flavour but it lifts this dish up and goes very well with the eggs and feta.
- 3 zucchinis, finely sliced
- 2 tblspns sour cream
- 2 tblspns fresh dill, finely chopped
- 5 eggs
- 50g Feta cheese
- 1/2 tspsn salt
- 1/2 tspsn pepper
- 2-3 tblspns olive oil
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on a medium heat and add the slice zucchini.
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes until golden, turning the pieces over half way through cooking.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and then add the sour cream. Whisk until smooth.
- Crumble the Feta cheese and add to the egg mixture, with the dill and seasoning.
- Ensure the frying pan is on a medium heat, add the egg and cheese mixture to the zucchini slices in the frying pan and cook for 8-10 minutes until the bottom is firm.
- Finish the frittata under the grill on a medium heat until the top is set and golden.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Nutritional Info per quarter - 192 Calories, 16g Fat, 10g Protein, 6g Total Carbs, 2g Fibre, 4g Net Carbs