A light, yet filling frittata with zucchini, feta and dill making it a delicious summer choice.
One of the vegetable stalls in my local market suddenly is stocking zucchini. This is a rarity and almost unheard of. After 10 minutes of loud sobbing involving the local police prising me off the vendor whilst I was hanging onto her with a "thank you" hug, I returned home with a large bag of locally grown zucchini. Then I had to think what to do with it.
There is a zucchini ricotta cake that I want to redo but annoyingly for me, the island is out of ricotta. I cannot buy a tub of it anywhere. Believe, me I've performed the 3 hour tour of checking all stores. So I need to wait until the next shipment before I can bake anything with ricotta. I think I've seen a recipe on how to make your own ricotta so perhaps I need to look at that.
After I had finished sulking and stopped calling the port authorities about their next shipment, my thoughts then went to a frittata. If I can't bake some zucchini in ricotta, then eggs will do! As ever, if in doubt, throw the vegetables in a frittata.
The end result was delicious and everything I hoped it would be. There is something about dill that can be an acquired flavour but it lifts this dish up and goes very well with the eggs and feta.
Zucchini, Dill & Feta Frittata
- 3 zucchinis finely sliced
- 2 tblspns sour cream
- 2 tblspns fresh dill finely chopped
- 5 eggs
- 50 g Feta cheese
- 1/2 tspsn salt
- 1/2 tspsn pepper
- 2-3 tblspns olive oil
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on a medium heat and add the slice zucchini.
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes until golden, turning the pieces over half way through cooking.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and then add the sour cream. Whisk until smooth.
- Crumble the Feta cheese and add to the egg mixture, with the dill and seasoning.
- Ensure the frying pan is on a medium heat, add the egg and cheese mixture to the zucchini slices in the frying pan and cook for 8-10 minutes until the bottom is firm.
- Finish the frittata under the grill on a medium heat until the top is set and golden.
- Eat and enjoy!