My original vegetarian version of the niçoise salad used to have haricot beans but that’s not a low carb option, so I replaced them with boiled eggs. The beauty of this summer salad is that it simple and a hearty salad for a main dish as well as a side salad. You can add your own spin on it too.
What is Nicoise Salad Made Of?
A classic niçoise salad is tomatoes, olives and anchovies. Many versions will include boiled potatoes, green beans, hard boiled eggs and good quality canned tuna. Some chefs have used salmon in place of the tuna. It seems that everyone has put their own spin on it.
How to Pronounce Nicoise Salad
For those of us who are rubbish with languages and accents (my French accent is dreadful) and want to order a niçoise salad with confidence, the phonetic pronunciation is “Nee-Swaz”.
How to Make Nicoise Salad
The traditional way of serving a niçoise salad is to have the ingredients served side by side on the plate. I however prefer to throw caution to the wind and have my salad ingredients all tossed together. If you want to plate this niçoise salad in a more beautiful way, use a shallow dish and artfully arrange the ingredients on the plate, breaking up the colours and textures.
OTHER SALADS TO ENJOY:
Vegetarian Nicoise Salad
- 2 cups green beans
- 2 tomatoes
- 10 black olives pitted
- 4 eggs, hard boiled
- 2 tablespoons basil, fresh torn into pieces
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Top and tail the green beans. Cook in boiling water for about 4 minutes until slightly tender. Drain and run under cool water.
- Cut the tomatoes into slices (quarter, and slice again). Season with salt and pepper
- Place the beans in a bowl and add the basil and olives.
- Add the tomatoes to the beans and mix gently.
- Mix the dressing of mustard, garlic, vinegar and olive oil.
- Pour the dressing over the bean and tomato mixture
- Peel the hard boiled eggs and cut into quarters.
- Place the eggs on top of the bean salad
- Serve immediately