Tofu walnut balls are a great meat free alternative and delicious served with vegetable noodles.
I loved the idea of an alternative to meat balls and wanted to do something out of nuts and vegan. Voila...the mighty tofu appears! The best thing about tofu is that it takes on the flavours of everything you season it with. So you may want to be over generous with a sprinkling of the ingredients, according to your taste or add something of your own...perhaps chilli it up??. I also think that these balls might be nice with mushrooms added too.
I use coconut flour in replace of breadcrumbs as it soaks up the moisture nicely. You could use another flour of your choice as long as it binds well. You can eat these alone or serve them with a yummy tomato sauce..or even a spicy sauce. If you are serving them during the Festive season, a nice cranberry sauce would be yummy!
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 tspn garlic powder
1 tspn onion powder
1 tblspn thyme (dried or fresh)
1 block tofu, firm
1/2 cup water
1 tblspn tamari sauce
1/3 cup coconut flour
2 tblspns olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees
- Heat the olive oil on a medium heat and gently saute the onions until golden brown
- Place the onions and other ingredients in a blender/food processor and mix well.
- Take a spoonful of the mixture and form into ball shapes.
- Place on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown, turning over half way through.
- Eat and enjoy!