This looks so elegant once made. Like a savoury swiss roll. You could easily convince guests that it was a complicated dish to make and they would believe you. It's the joy of spinach and eggs...nutrious and filling!
450g fresh spinach or 175g frozen spinach (defrost it)
4 eggs, separated
Freshly grated nutmeg
4 tblspns grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
55g cream cheese
2 x 150g mozzarella cheese
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a d 23 x 33 cm Swiss roll tin with baking parchment, to extend up the sides a little.
- If you are using fresh spinach, cook it for a few minutes until it is tender.
- Chop the spinach and mix with the butter, egg yolks and a seasoning of salt, pepper and nutmeg to make a smooth, creamy looking puree. I process this with a hand blender.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold into the spinach mixture.
- Tip the mixture into the tin, level the top and sprinkle with half of the grated Parmesan. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the top is springy.
- Remove from the oven and turn out onto a piece og baking parchment sprinkled with the remaining Parmesan. Peel the paper off the roulade.
- Spread the roulade with a thin layer of cream cheese. Then put the mozzarella and tomato slices on top.
- Roll up the roulade, starting at one of the long ends.
- Serve, eat and enjoy.