I had a large tub of sour cream sitting in the fridge and had two choices. Eat it all with a large spoon or bake with it. I decided to try to make an ice cream out of it. As I don't have an ice cream maker (yet!) I had to hand churn it, so added vodka to help stop the crystallization of the ice cream. However, if I had an ice maker I would still add the vodka! This was my first time making ice cream with coconut milk and I was pleasantly surprised.
You need a few bowls in this method too, and a bit of organisation. Just get everything ready ahead of time and it is easy to make. You can use this recipe as a base to play around with other ice cream flavours too. I had another play with this and used tequila and lime. Delicious! The Chief Taster almost licked the bowl clean and I suspect he is hoping for a weekly ice cream dish!
300ml coconut milk
115g erthyritol (or other sugar substitute)
3 egg yolks
450ml sour cream
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
4 tblpsn vodka
1/2 tspn vanilla essence
1 tblspn lime juice
- Heat the coconut milk with half of the erthyritol (or sugar substitute) on a medium heat and stir until blended,
- Whisk the other half of the erthyritol in a bowl with the egg yolks until creamy, white and thick.
- Place a bowl in cold water, as we are going to need this later.
- Turn the heat up on the coconut milk and boil.
- Take the coconut milk off the boil, stir in the vanilla.
- Gently pour the coconut milk onto the egg mixture, whisking all the time.
- Pour this mixture into a bowl which is over simmering water and stir until the mixture thickens. If it lightly coats the back of the spoon you are good to go.
- Pour the mixture into the cold bowl and allow to completely cool.
- Once cool, add the sour cream, vodka, desiccated coconut and lime juice. Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into a Tupperware container and place in the freezer (or your ice cream maker).
- After 45 minutes, take out the container from the freezer and stir well, to move the frozen elements about.
- Repeat for about 2 to 3 hours until the mixture is frozen and smooth. (I ended up leaving mine overnight and it turned out fine)
- Eat and enjoy!