This is a wonderful discovery of a thin pizza base that is a low GI carb, gluten free and even vegan! It is beyond easy to make and can be rustled up quicker than it takes to eat it.
This originates from Nice, in the south of France as a popular street food and a similar dish to this in Italy is called Farinata. You could continue to make this vegan by not using any cheese, may I suggest avocado instead on the toppings? I’ve put this under the vegetarian category, but obviously you can add your favourite meats or fish as you would for any other pizza.
I’ve just started to play around with gram flour (which is made from ground Channa) along with it also being gluten free it has a high fibre content and also is particularly high in folate or vitamin B9, thiamin or vitamin B1, vitamin B6, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, iron, copper and manganese. Phew! That’s surely most things covered?!? It can also be called Besan flour. The fantastic result with this recipe has spurred me onto making more things with it…so stay tuned! You can purchase this flour from most supermarkets as well as Indian food markets.
So when you want a quick nutritious meal or even a snack, whether it be straight from work, picking the kids up or after a night out, think of Socca pizza!
2/3 cup gram flour
1/2 cup water (add more if the consistency of the mixture comes out too thick).
1 tblspn Oregano
1 tspn ground Parsley (optional)
1 tspn garlic powder
1-2 tblspn olive oil
Pizza toppings of choice (the pictures for this post give a few ideas)
- Mix the flour with the water and blend well so that there are no lumps.
- Add the oregano, garlic powder and parsley.
- Heat the grill on a high heat.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on a medium heat and pour the mixture into it and cover the base of the pan well.
- Cook until the bottom is golden and flip over. Cook until the other side is quite firm and golden.
- Slather over your toppings of choice and place under the hot grill for a couple of minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!