This keto moussaka recipe has layers of roasted vegetable in a herb tomato sauce, topped with a creamy yogurt topping. It's a hearty low carb eggplant dinner for the family to enjoy.
I love moussaka as it combines all my love of vegetables, cheese and creamy yoghurt together.! There are many versions of moussaka but this one roasts the vegetables first giving it a lovely taste. I also love the "bite" of the feta cheese on top.
Making a keto moussaka
A moussaka can take time to make and is a dish to make when you are not in a rush. You can shorten the cooking time by preparing the vegetables ahead of cooking.
I've kept this moussaka vegetarian purely because I don't eat meat and the Chief Taster does not eat red meat. For the meat eaters, make this low carb moussaka heartier by adding a layer of cooked minced lamb or beef.
The recipe card says to roast the eggplant slices as I find it uses less oil. Eggplant are like sponges with oil! In the photos above I cooked the eggplant slices in a cast iron skillet. Either way, ensure your eggplant slices are cooked before assembly.
More low carb eggplant recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information
Roasted Vegetable Moussaka
- 2 eggplants
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 zucchini sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- 2 red peppers
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 14 oz chopped tomatoes tinned
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teapoon black pepper
- 2 medium eggs
- 300 ml Greek yogurt
- 2 oz Feta cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Cut the eggplant into slices, about 5mm thick. Place them in a colander, and sprinkle with the 3 tablespoons of salt. Leave for 30 minutes to release the bitter juices and rinse under cold water. Pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F degrees.
- Place the sliced eggplant, zucchini, onions, peppers and garlic in a roasting tin (will probably require two tins for this).
- Drizzle the olive oil over the vegetable. Season with the thyme, salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 30-35 minutes, turning half-way through cooking, until golden brown and tender. When the vegetables are cooked, reduce the oven temperature to 180C/350F degrees.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs and yogurt. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Put half the roasted vegetable slices in a layer in a large ovenproof dish. Spoon the tinned chopped tomatoes over and season with the oregano, salt and pepper. Repeat the layers.
- Pour the yoghurt mixture over the vegetable layers and crumble the Feta cheese on top. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.