A pumpkin cake that is made from almond flour as a gluten free and low carb option for the holidays.
This recipe comes from one of my favourite low carb recipe sites, Linda's Low Carb Menu. I changed the sweetner to erythritol as I do not use Splenda, but feel free to use the sweetner of your choice. It should still work okay. For my first attempt at this I used home made pumpkin puree but tinned would be just as good too. The result was just delicious and was lovely sliced and gorgeous toasted too! I smothered mine with some cream cheese....mmmmmm
I used a larger loaf pan than is required so my loaf came out low and not as tall as a pound cake should be. It still tasted lovely and lasted for about 5 days stored in the fridge. I need to buy a smaller loaf tin as I keep doing this. Although the husband just yells in the background to double up the ingredients and bake him a monster cake....
1 cup pumpkin puree (canned or home made)
1 cup erthyritol (or other sweetner)
1 tspn vanilla essence
1 ½ cups almond flour
1 tspn baking powder
1 tspn ground cinnamon
1 tspn ground allspice
⅛ tspn salt
- Preheat the oven to 150C/300F degrees.
- Grease a 8 x 4 inch loaf tin well and line the bottom with greaseproof paper.
- Beat the pumpkin, erythritol (or other sweetner), baking powder, vanilla, spices and salt. Mix well.
- Add in the eggs and almond flour and blend into a batter.
- Pour into the loaf tin and bake for 60-75 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove and cool.
- Slice, eat and enjoy!
Healthy snack. Now where can I buy almond flour? Will try this for my sons school snack.
You can grind up almonds in a food processor, or I buy big bags from Amazon. Health food shops and supermarkets will have this too. Hope your son enjoys it!!
Awesome! I just started baking with GF ingredients. I will have to make a "monster cake" of this 😀