Mozzarella stuffed breadsticks using coconut flour as the dough surrounding the strips of cheese. A great appetiser or snack.
This is one of my favourite recipes from my coconut flour eBook that is also featured on a couple of coconut flour recipe websites. These healthy low carb and gluten free version of mozzarella stuffed bread sticks are just delicious served with a side of Marinara sauce too.
When I baked these the Chief Taster had only returned back from a business trip that Saturday late morning. He was ravenous since he had been travelling since the early hours and was demanding food. Since these breadsticks are made with coconut flour and psyllium I had a pretty good idea they were going to be filling. When I put a couple of sticks on his plate I was met with crys for more. So I did. He stopped for a break after three. After another two he finally declared himself full.
The trick with these is to seal the dough well. I pressed it together and sealed it with a clean wet finger. A few sticks still oozed a bit of cheese.
I also tried these with a different brand of coconut flour and the result was not as good, so it many vary. I was using a local coconut flour and the dough was not as thick, resulting in only 6 sticks being made. I am always amazed how there can be a slight variation in results when baking with coconut flour.
A QUICK GUIDE TO THE STICKS
Cut into 8 pieces
Roll to about 8 inches long
Place a strip of Mozzarella on the dough
Wrap the dough around the cheese and seal well
Mozzarella Stuffed Breadsticks
- 1/2 cup 56g coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons 28g butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion power
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon 9g psyllium husk powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- Eight 6 inch long strips of Mozzarella
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and combine well.
- Add the butter and eggs and mix thoroughly until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Boil the water and add to the mixture a bit at a time, stirring thoroughly until you have a dough.
- Cut the dough into eight pieces. Take one of the pieces and roll into a ball. Place this on a strip of parchment paper. Place another strip of parchment paper over the dough ball and roll out into a rectangle about 8 x 4 inches.
- Place a Mozzarella strip in the centre of the rolled dough and cover it with the dough like a parcel wrapping! Make sure all the edges are sealed.
- Place the breadsticks on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turning over after 10 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!
If you enjoyed this recipe you can subscribe to Divalicious Recipes and never miss a recipe! You get a free low carb & gluten free Bread & Baking eCookbook too.
Follow me on Facebook for extra bits and fun! https://www.facebook.com/DivaliciousRecipes