I initially made this cake with blending a lemon and lime together. The cake was bitter and even the Chief Taster winced as he reached for another slice. It was binned. So, the next time I boiled the lemon and lime for an hour before using them in the recipe. This was much better and removed the bitter taste. The sponge is so soft and moist. I loved it! Definitely a sponge recipe to play around with other flavours.
I baked this in a square shaped cake tin, then cut into half to make a sandwich. I used a cream cheese frosting mixture to sandwich the cake and decorated with strawberries. This was a nice contrast to the citrus taste of the cake. I have not added this detail to the recipe as you can decorate it as you want. This was just my personal choice!
Lemon & Lime Cake
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup erythritoll or other sugar substitute
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- 150 g butter melted
- 2 tspn baking powder
- Place the lemon and lime in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for an hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C/325F degrees.
- Place the lemon and lime in a food processer or blender and blitz well.
- Add the eggs and butter to the mixture and blend.
- Add the remaining ingredients and continue to blend.
- Pour into a greased cake tin and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool, decorate as you wish, eat and enjoy!
- Serves 4-6 (About 10 slices)
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.