A shortcake keto tart is filled with a sugar free cheesecake filling and topped with slices of ripe strawberries for a delicious low carb and gluten free dessert.
This is a delicious strawberry keto dessert that I’ve already made 3 times with almost a standing ovation from the Chief Taster. The tart crust is made with coconut flour and has an almost shortbread texture and flavour. These keto cheesecake tarts are a great dessert for dinner parties or gathering as they almost look store bought.
Join the friendliest keto & low carb recipe and support Facebook Group HERE!
I decided upon a cheesecake filling rather than plain cream for extra flavour. And hey, it’s cheesecake in any form. Topped with lush strawberries it’s an easy dessert packed full of summer flavour.
Carbs in strawberries
Strawberries are a great low carb fruit with just 6g net carbs per 100g. If you measure by cups ½ cup of sliced strawberries is 4.7g net carbs. For more details of carbs in fruit, check out this guide : Carbs in Fruits
How to make a strawberry cheesecake tart
As with most low carb pasty, it is very delicate to handle without the gluten. Sometimes the addition of xanthan gum can help but I don’t often bake it with it. I’ve made it once with it but in all honesty could not see the difference.
To make a sweet low carb pastry I used allulose and although I’ve only just started baking with it, I like that it does not have the same slight aftertaste that erythritol can. I’ve baked the pastry with erythritol too and the Chief Taster thought that it was very sweet. I still enjoyed it though.
The trick into handling this coconut flour pastry is to gently press it into the cases with your hand. There is no rolling involved which can be an upside! Once baked, cool and chill the pastry. It needs to be cold and firm before you try to remove the pastry from the case.
The filling is the simplest of cheesecake mixtures. Cream cheese and whipping cream with a low carb sweetner. Simple but delicious! Sliced strawberries on top and you have an elegant dessert.
Tips & Suggestions
Try other cream fillings such as mascarpone cheese or simple whipped heavy cream.
If you do not want to use coconut flour you can use this almond flour recipe instead.
Make the tart cases ahead and store in a container in the fridge for a day before filling and serving.
Although this recipe makes 4 mini tarts you can use this recipe to make a whole tart.
Other low carb tarts to bake
Keto Strawberry Cheesecake Tart
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup whipping cream (heavy cream)
- 1 tablespoons allulose
- 8 strawberries
Make the pastry
- Place all the pastry ingredients in a food processor. Blitz until all the ingredients are smooth.
- Remove the mixture and form into in a ball.
- Cover with parchment paper and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/375F degrees
- Removed the dough from the fridge and cut into 4 even pieces. I made 4 tarts and used 4.75 inch silicon tart cases.
- Shape the pastry pieces into a ball and then press the pastry into the tart cases, spreading the mixture out evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden at the edges. Check them after 10 minutes so that they are not burning.
- Set aside to cool and then place in the fridge to firm for 30 minutes before removing the pastry shells from the cases.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the cream cheese.
- Add the whipping cream and the low carb sweetener. Whisk until smooth.
- Spoon into the tart cases.
- Slice the strawberries and place on top of the cheesecake filling.
- Eat and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.