A great way to eat broccoli. In a soup with cheese!
When I tasted this soup after cooking it, I almost ate a whole bowl of it in one go. It was one of those scenes where you take a spoon, taste, repeat and repeat, then reach for a larger spoon. Then my low carb bread roll came out for dipping with a small bowl of the soup. I recommend you eat it after you cook it. I re-heated it the next day and it lost some of the thick consistency it had freshly made. I would not recommend freezing this either. Eat it with justo once you have made it! It's lovely and creamy, with a slight pink colour due to the red pepper but the slight hint of the cayenne pepper makes this a perfect comfort soup! Just typing this recipe up makes me realize I need to make another batch as I enjoyed the first one so much!
1 medium head of broccoli, cut into small florets
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 red pepper
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 tblspn butter
1/2 tspn cayenne pepper
1 tspn salt
1/4 tspn pepper
1/2 tspn mustard
3/4 cup double cream
1 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Place the broccoli florets in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes until tender.
- Transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking, then drain. Reserve 3 cups cooking water for the soup.
- Heat the butter on a medium heat in a saucepan. Add the onion, garlic and red pepper for 10 minutes.
- Add the cayenne pepper and mustard and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the reserved broccoli water and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the cream and the cheese, stir until the cheese has melted and season with the salt and pepper.
- Place the soup in a blender (or use a hand held blender) and puree until smooth.
- Return to the pot and add the broccoli florets.
- Eat, slurp and enjoy!
Serves 2 - 4
Nutrition: Per Serving: 340 Calories; 28g Fat; 13g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carb