These keto broccoli cheddar muffins make a great savoury breakfast muffin or serve with a bowl of tomato soup. Baked with coconut flour they are also gluten-free and have just 3 net grams of carbohydrates per muffin.
If you enjoy the flavour taste of broccoli and cheese, then this muffin is for you. Broccoli and Cheddar cheese go so well with each other and are often paired together in soups, quiches and bakes. I love to sneak broccoli into my food and have made cheesy breasdsticks and low carb quiche cases with it!
Broccoli Cheese Muffins
We often enjoy a savoury low carb muffin as a delicious low carb alternative to a bread roll with a bowl of soup. As most of my savoury muffins are made with coconut flour, the high fiber content makes for a filling dish or snack.
The broccoli is not too overpowering and the Chief Taster liked these mainly because he could taste the cheese more. Perhaps these muffins could be a way to sneak broccoli into your diet?
For these low carb broccoli cheddar muffins, the broccoli is used raw and is finely chopped in a food processor before adding to the muffin mixture. As it is finely chopped, the raw broccoli cooks in the muffin mixture adding to taste, rather than texture.
The eggs should be at room temperature before baking so if you store yours in the refrigerator take them out for at least 30 minutes before use.
The cheddar cheese should be a mature or strong cheese for a better flavour. Lesser cheddar cheeses do not bake as well and can give an oily texture.
For the seasonings we have used a mixture of oregano, garlic and onion powder. These can be omitted or substituted to your own choice. Thyme would would well.
How to Make Keto Broccoli Cheddar Muffins
This is an easy recipe to make and one that the children could help with too.
- Place broccoli florets into a food processor.
- Blitz until the broccoli is finely chopped.
- Beat the eggs, water and butter together.
- Add the dry ingredients and the chopped broccoli. Mix well.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Place in the muffin tin and top with more grated cheddar cheese. Bake!
Can almond flour be used in place of coconut flour?
Most of my low carb savoury muffins are made with coconut flour purely as it's one of my favourite low carb flours to bake with. Almond flour could be used in place of coconut flour for this recipe but you would need to increase the volume of the flour to about 1 ½ cups.
Storage and Freezing
To store these muffins, keep them in an air tight container in the refrigerator. They should last up to 3-4 days before becoming dry. Revive the muffin by reheating it in the microwave for just a few seconds.
These muffins freeze well and are great to have on hand for breakfast and soup emergencies! Once completely cool, place the broccoli muffin in an zip lock bag. I remove the air by placing a straw into the zip lock bag and sucking the air out like a mini vacuum cleaner. They should last up to 3 months in the freezer.
To defrost, remove the muffins from the freezer and place in the refrigerator. They are best reheated after defrosting too.
Add chopped ham or bacon for a meatier muffin.
Add chopped spring onions to the muffin batter for an extra flavour.
For an extra cheesy flavour add ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese to the muffin mixture.
You could always play around with the herb flavourings so look upon the oregano, garlic and onion powder as optional. I enjoyed the herbs that I used but you might prefer another combination.
Other Savoury Keto Muffins to Enjoy
This recipe was originally posted in December 2015. We have updated the photos and content but the recipe remains the same.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Broccoli Cheddar Muffins
- 1 head broccoli about 2 cups when processed
- 4 eggs beaten
- ¼ cup butter, unsalted melted
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup Cheddar cheese grated
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder optional
- ½ teaspoon onion powder optional
- ¼ cup Cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Lightly grease a muffin pan with butter or olive oil OR line the pan with muffin parchment cases .
- In a large mixing bowl add the eggs, water and melted butter and whisk.
- Blitz the broccoli in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Add the broccoli, coconut flour, salt, baking powder and seasoning to the egg mixture and stir well.
- Gently stir in the ½ cup of Cheddar cheese.
- Spoon into the muffin tin and sprinkle the remaining Cheddar cheese over the top of the muffins.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes until the tops are slightly golden.
- Eat and enjoy!