This is a great dairy free pesto recipe that is simply made with basil and walnuts. No cheese is used, just nuts and herbs, making this pesto recipe paleo as well as low carb and gluten free.
I ate this slathered over zucchini noodles and on my coconut flour flatbread. I really should have taken photos of them for the recipe but was too busy enjoying the flavours to think about picking up the camera. Perhaps another time!
You could serve this basil walnut pesto with fish or chicken too. Grilled vegetables too. Just thinking of this makes me want to fire up the BBQ and make another batch.
The walnuts can be a cheaper alternative to pine nuts as well being rich in n-6 (linoleate) and n-3 (linolenate) polyunsaturated fatty acids. The parsley helps keep the green colour of the pesto. Just make sure that the basil is fresh and fragrant as you can find. The local basil in St Lucia is just amazing. The one growing on a pot in my kitchen is a sad sorry excuse for basil. So, I went with the store-bought basil for this dish.
Reach for your blender or food processor and whip up a batch of this delicious basil walnut pesto. You will not be disappointed!
- 3 Cups Fresh Basil
- 1 Cup Walnuts
- 2 Cloves Garlic Peeled
- 1/2 Cup Olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Parsley
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black pepper
- Add the basil, walnuts, garlic, parsley and lemon juice in a blender.
- Pulse a few times to break up the ingredients.
- Then, add the olive oil a few tablespoons at a time on pulse, until the mixture forms a paste. Add more olive oil if you want a thinner consistency.
- Season with the salt and pepper.