An avocado salad roulade that makes a great centre piece for lunch. It’s an easy healthy lunch to make and is served cold.
I thought about calling this a deconstructed avocado salad and serving it on a slate but that’s not really me. It did make me giggle to myself though. I am a huge fan of roulades as they are an elegant way to serve an egg dish and are just as easy to make as a frittata. Instead of serving a salad alongside a frittata, this recipe has the salad inside the egg dish.
A roulade is a great low carb recipe and is as versatile as the fillings. It is just as easy as whisking egg whites. Now that I finally have an electric whisk, there is less strain on my drinking arm and an roulade is effortless.
When making this avocado salad roulade recipe announce it to your family but keep quiet about the roulade. Enjoy the look on their faces when this appears on the table. It’s all the elements of an avocado egg salad really but in a much prettier form.
The filling for this avocado salad roulade can be changed to your own tastes. I was keeping it simple with avocado, cucumber, tomatoes and lettuce. The lettuce is a must to give the filling a slight crunchy texture. The cucumber is because the Chief Taster wasn’t around so I was able to freely grate cucumber without cries of disgust (he hates it and can smell it from about 500 yards away).
Another filling idea would be avocado mixed with cream cheese and a few chopped jalapenos. Or just add any leftover salad ingredients you have in the fridge, chop them up and serve in a delicious roulade.
Light and delicious, this is a filling dish and makes a great snack. I happily munched on a slice later that day when I wanted something to eat, but not a full meal. A slice or two for breakfast would not go amiss either!
- 2 oz (55g) Cream Cheese softened
- 4 Eggs separated
- 5 floz (150g) Cream heavy/whipping
- 200 g Cheddar cheese grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup (50g) Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 avocado mashed
- 1 inch Cucumber grated
- 6 Cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup Mixed salad leaves/lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- Beat the cream cheese and egg yolk together.
- Add the cream and mix.
- Stir in the grated Cheddar cheese and the seasoning.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the cream cheese mixture.
- Pour into a parchment paper lined baking tray (rectangle).
- Sprinkle half the Parmesan cheese over the top and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on the kitchen surface and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Remove the roulade from the oven and place face down on the Parmesan covered paper and leave to cool. Remove the top paper.
- Spread the mashed avocado over the roulade.
- Then scatter the cucumber, tomato and salad leaves over the roulade.
- Roll up the roulade starting from one of the long edges, using the paper at the bottom to help roll it firmly.
- Slice, eat and enjoy!