This makes a lovely starter or a light main course. Easy enough to put together as you simply cook the vegetables on a griddle pan and assemble. The aubergines may need extra oil to cook as they are the kitchen paper towels of the vegetable world. If you cut the pieces around the same size it can look quite an elegant dish.
2 medium aubergines (eggplant)
2 beefsteak tomatoes
1 ball of buffalo mozzarella
Handful of basil leaves
2-3 tblspns olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the tops and bottoms off the auberines. Slice into circles of about 1 cm high. Repeat for the tomatoes.
- Heat the olive oil on a griddle pan on a medium heat. (I love the dark lines they give on the vegetables)
- Fry the aubergines until golden brown on each side. Place on a plate and keep warm.
- Fry the tomatoes on both sides until cooked. In the meantime slice the mozarella.
- Assemble the dish placing the aubergine on the bottom, followed by a slice of mozarella, then a few a basil leaves. Place the tomatoes on top, season with salt and pepper, then top with a piece of aubergine.
- Eat and enjoy!