These healthy strawberry chocolate chip muffins are baked with coconut flour and are full of flavour. Gluten free and low in carbs they make a great start to the day.
Baking with strawberries are a great way to use those tired looking, flavourless strawberries sitting on the supermarket shelf out of season. To truly enjoy a luscious strawberry, they should be in season and eaten raw, with a dollop of cream. Or with a touch of balsamic vinegar. There is nothing quite like the taste of an English strawberry ripe in season.
I am often the crazy lady in the supermarket picking up punnets of strawberries and sniffing them. If I can’t smell them, I know that they are going to taste of nothing and not worth my dollar. I would prefer to go and pick my own but since I am currently not in the UK, that’s not an option for me. It’s actually back breaking work, picking the strawberries for a living. I spent one summer in my youth working on a fruit farm and it was hard work. Enjoyable though as I liked being outside and munching on the fruit as I was picking them. If I did that now I think it would take me a week to recover! Ah, the joy and energies of youth!
Since strawberries go so well with chocolate it only seemed fair and right that I combine them in a muffin. They both contain antioxidants so let’s call this a healthy muffin too! I initially used a packet of dark chocolate chips to make these but with the second batch I cut up a dark chocolate bar into small chunks. I don’t normally make another batch of a recipe immediately if I enjoy the first one but these were so good I had to make sure that it did infact taste as good as the first one. I should be applying this principle more with recipes! Another tasty batch, “just to make sure”!
- 1/4 cup (28g) coconut flour
- 1/4 cup (56g) butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup erythritol (52g) or sugar substitute
- 3 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 strawberries
- 1/4 cup (56g) chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Blend the butter, eggs, erythritol, vanilla essence and coconut milk.
- Add the coconut flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk until the batter is smooth
- Chop the strawberries and add to the batter, along with the chocolate chips. Fold in gently.
- Pour the batter into cupcake cups or a greased muffin tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes until firm.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Makes 6
- Nutritional Info - Per Muffin: 198 Calories, 16g Fat, 5g Protein, 9g Carbs, 4g Fibre, 5g Net Carbs
If you enjoyed this recipe you can subscribe to Divalicious Recipes and never miss a recipe! You get a free low carb & gluten free Bread & Baking eCookbook too.
Follow me on Facebook for extra bits and fun! https://www.facebook.com/DivaliciousRecipes