An ice cream cake that is made of three layers with the delicious flavour combination of chocolate and mint. It is low carb and gluten-free too!
A sunny Sunday afternoon saw me revisiting one of my old recipes, purely because the photo’s that I have on the site are awful and would not tempt you to try it. I don’t think that they would even tempt the Chief Taster if he had nothing to eat all day and I showed him a photo of them. It was before my fancy camera (so many old recipes to redo because of this too…ahem!). That afternoon saw one of those cooking moments where I kept changing my mind as I was adding ingredients to the bowl like a crazy chemistry professor in a lab and suddenly I went from small individual cakes to one large ice cream cake and I was yelling “it’s alive!!” whilst in my white lab coat (well, my apron from Lakeland).
This was so good that we had it for breakfast the next day. Mainly because I made it in the afternoon and by the time it was ready to eat it was too dark to photograph. So I refused to cut it and therefore there was no taste testing that night. The Chief Taster and I were almost in the divorce courts about this decision, and that’s why we had it for breakfast after a lot of late night discussions with our legal team….
There are three elements to this, which are easy enough by themselves but it’s not a quick dish due to these stages and part of the reason the Chief Taster was getting impatient. Basically, it’s a plan ahead dish, or if you bake this first thing in the morning, you should be good to go in the evening. The longer it is kept in the freezer, the harder it becomes and you may want to cut a slice and leave it to defrost for 5 minutes. It kept well in the freezer but did not last longer than 3 days as the Chief Taster feasted upon it!
I still have to redo my original recipe…*feigns dissapointment and reaches for the chocolate and gets ready for another dessert*..
- 4 eggs
- 8oz cream cheese
- 4 tblspn butter
- 4 tblspn cocoa powder
- 4 tblspn erythritol (or sugar substitute)
- 4 tblspn butter
- 8oz cream cheese
- 2/3 cup (170ml cream)
- 1 tspn mint extract
- 1/2 tspn green colouring (making sure that it is gluten free!)
- 3 tblspns powdered erythritol
- 100g Dark Chocolate
- cup (60ml) cream
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F degrees.
- Soften the egg, cream cheese and butter. Mix well.
- Add the cocoa powder and erythritol and blend well.
- Place into a greased 8 inch spring form cake tin and bake for 20 minutes. The cake will rise very high and fall, so don’t panic. I actually used a silver foil cake tin as it was easy to peel away once finished. Plus they were going cheap in my local dollar store.
- Remove and cool.
- Mix the mint layer by blending the butter and cream cheese. Add the mint extract, colouring and erythritol.
- Spread the mint mixture onto the cooled cake and place in the freezer to firm.
- Make the chocolate topping by heating up the cream and pouring it over the chocolate. Blend well until the chocolate has melted and blended into the cream. Let it cool slightly.
- Pour over the mint layer and place back into the freezer for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Nutritional Info per slice - 460 Calories, 43g Fat, 11g Total Carbs, 9g Net Carbs, 3g Fibre, 2g Protein
If you enjoyed this recipe you can subscribe to Divalicious Recipes by email and never miss another recipe!
Follow me on Facebook for extra bits and fun! https://www.facebook.com/DivaliciousRecipes
If you make this, share it! Tag your photo on Instagram with #divaliciousrecipes