I’ve recently been playing around with hazelnut flour as I came across a bag of this in a supermarket. I substituted a few recipes that I usually use almond flour with the hazelnut flour and was delighted with the results.
I love the hazelnut flavour and combined it with coffee for the cream cheese topping. You could change the topping or omit it all together. I liked it as it reminded me of a coffee and walnut cake. If you don’t have hazelnut flour you could make your own by grinding the nuts (the same way that you would make almond flour). Sadly for me, hazelnuts are not in abundance where I live so you can understand my excitement when I came across a bag of this flour and saw how low in carbs it was too. I think I squealed out loud with girlish glee….makes a change from my loud swearing at seeing how expensive the cauliflowers are in that shop.
Hazelnut Flour Muffins with a Coffee Cream Cheese Topping
2 cups hazelnut flour (224g)
1/2 cup butter, melted (113g)
1/4 cup erthyritol (or sweetener of your choice) (50g)
1 tspn baking powder
1/4 tspn salt
1/3 cup butter, softened (75g)
1/3 cup cream cheese, softened (75g)
2 tblspn coconut milk
2 tblspn ground erthyritol (or sweetener of your choice)
1 tspn dried coffee granules
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Mix the hazelnut flour, baking soda and salt together.
- In another bowl mix the butter, eggs and erythritol.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together, and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into cupcake cases in a muffin/cupcake tin.
- Bake for 20 to 23 minutes until firm.
- Whilst the cakes are cooling make the cream cheese topping.
- Blend the butter, cream cheese, coffee, coconut milk and erthyritol in a bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Smother (or pipe if you are neater) the topping over the top of the muffin.
- Eat and enjoy!
Makes 8 muffins
Nutrition per muffin (no topping): 313 Calories, 31g Fat; 7g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carb
Nutrition per muffin (with topping): 411 Calories, 41g Fat; 8g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carb
If you enjoyed this recipe you can subscribe to Divalicious Recipes by email and never miss another recipe!
Follow me on Facebook for extra bits and fun!