If in doubt about cooking a vegetable, roast it! I find that many of my childhood vegetables that were boiled to an inch of their lives, are so much better roasted.
Cauliflower and broccoli in particular. So I tried roasting cabbage. So simple and yet so tasty! When I was playing around with this we ate plates of it just by itself! So I am in two minds whether to call this a side or main vegetable dish! You can really play around with the flavourings of roast cabbage. I am currently torn between two flavours of roast cabbage, one just slathered with oil and garlic, the other covered with whole-grain mustard with a dash of lemon. Yummy!
The cabbage can be cut into slices or wedges, slathered with your flavourings, then roasted. It’s that simple!
1 head of green cabbage
3-4 tblspns olive oil
4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Remove the outer leaves of the cabbage.
- Slice into either wedges or thick slices (will make about 6 slices)
- Brush with oil and half the garlic.
- Place on a baking tray and cook for 20 minutes.
- Turn the pieces over, add the remaining garlic and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!
Serves 1-3 (depend on the size of the cabbage)
Nutrition: Per half cabbage : 250 Calories; 21g Fat; 3g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 9g Net Carb
If you enjoyed this recipe you can subscribe to Divalicious Recipes by email and never miss a recipe!
Follow me on Facebook for extra bits and fun!