This is very refreshing and a tasty broad beans salad, it’s the type of salad that makes you feel full more quickly, because of the fiber content. The creamy texture of the broad bean blends perfectly with the sharpness of the lemon and the sweetness of the basil.
I love broad beans and they are a taste of summer especially with this salad dressing. They are also known as fava beans. You can use fresh or frozen beans. I made this from a bag of frozen beans I found lingering in the back of my freezer. I also peeled them for a change too. I normally eat them with their skins on , but peeling them did not take too long and I was left with a colourful plate. The green colour is radiant and fits into my belief that food should look colourful and appetizing to eat. Simple to make too which is an added bonus!
Broad beans are an excellent vegetable source of protein and fibre. They are also rich in both folate and B vitamins, which we need for nerve and blood cell development, cognitive function and energy.
- 350g Broad Beans (fresh or frozen)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tblspn fresh basil, chopped
- Juice of one lemon
- salt to taste
- Place the beans in a saucepan, cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 15-18 minutes until tender.
- Drain and remove the skins (peeling is optional)
- In a blender, place the basil, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil and blitz well until combined.
- Add the onions to the broad beans, then pour the dressing over the mixture.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Nutritional Info per serving - 255 Calories, 17g Fat, 7g Protein, 21g Total Carbs, 5g Fibre, 16g Net Carbs