Almond Meal Pulp and Zucchini Falafels

I like to make my own almond milk as that way I know that there has been nothing unnatural sneaked it but it hurts me to throw away the left over almond meal.   I tried to make a cracker with it which did not work out well.   I would rather lick the conveyor belt at the supermarket then eat those again (not every recipe is a success!).  Finally,  I made a lovely savoury dish from the almond meal so it’s not gone to waste.  I am also missing a decent falafel since moving away from the Middle East, and this was a half decent substitute (you still cannot beat the real thing).  More importantly for me, it is a great low carb version of falafel.  Perfect with a cauliflower wrap and salad.  It works out to be about 3 net carbs per falafel.  Nom nom!

The added zucchini gives the falafel the moistness you normally get from the chickpeas when you are making the traditional version with chickpeas.  As ever, it’s a great way to sneak vegetables into a dish!  More importantly, a tasty way to use up the almond meal from home made almond milk!  I’m still unsure how to categorize these, a vegetarian side dish, main or a snack?   I eat them in all three categories!

1/2 cup almond meal

20g coconut flour

1 tspn baking soda

2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped

1/2 onion, peeled and finely chopped

1 cup zucchini grated

1 tblspn fresh parsley, chopped

2 tblspn fresh coriander, chopped

1 tspn ground cumin

1/2 tspn cayenne pepper

2 tspn ground coriander

1/2 tspn salt

1/2 tspn pepper

3-4 tblspn olive oil

• Place all of the ingredients, except the baking soda and coconut flour in a food processor and blitz until combined.
  • Spoon the mixture into a bowl and add the baking soda and coconut.  Mix well.  Add more coconut flour if required.
  • Take about a tablespoon of the mixture, and make into balls, flattening slightly.
  • Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm.
  • Heat the olive oil on a medium heat in a frying pan.
  • Fry the falafel on both side for until golden and firm.

Makes 10-12 balls.   3 Net carbs each.

22 Comments Add yours

1. Looks fantastic – love the spices you’ve used!

1. Divalicious says:

Thanks! Glad you like the look of it!

2. jamiemid says:

Wow, what an amazing idea! I also like to make my own almond milk, and always wondered what I could do with the leftover pulp. I know that some people use it to make flour, but that involves a lot of time, and I don’t generally have enough pulp left over to do anything with it. This recipe is sheer genius. I rarely eat falafels, but I think will be eating more in the future. Thanks for a really great idea. I use a lot of zucchini, and I love coriander, so this is brilliant. I will be making this very soon.

1. Divalicious says:

Awwh! Thanks! So pleased you like this! Let me know how it goes when you make it. I agree with you on the flour, takes too much time and is easier to throw it in a blender with other ingredients. Thanks for popping by! ;)

3. Pingback: The Roundup
  4. louisemaciel says:

Hi! Can I use regular flour instead coconut flour?

1. Divalicious says:

Of course .. I use it to keep the carbs down but please feel free. I want my recipes to be something others can play with! Thanks for popping by ;)

5. These look so satisfying- its great to have healthier appetizer options like this. Thanks for sharing at ‘Tell em Tuesday’!
    xoxo K

6. These look really tasty, I just need to find some coconut flour here in the UK and then I’ll be making some.

1. Divalicious says:

Holland & Barrett should stock some. Happy baking!

7. A Home Cook says:

I love felafels, but have someone who shouldn’t really eat chickpeas. This might solve our problem.

1. Divalicious says:

Thanks for popping by. Try them with my zucchini hummus too! (a chickpea free meal!)

1. A Home Cook says:

Oh yes, thank you,

8. I absolutely LOVE this!! Almond pulp is one of those things I’m never quite sure how to use. I’ve never seen a recipe like this before. It looks great!

BreAnna | Crafty Coin
    Real Food on a Real Budget

1. Divalicious says:

Thanks BreAnna. Hope you enjoy it!

Liked by 1 person

9. B Lee says:

Greetings! I tried making this recipe. The only thing I didn’t have was fresh coriander so I just added a little more ground coriander. I had a problem though. They just crumbled in my pan. Even though I formed the patties and put them in the fridge for the stated amount of time they just came apart when I tried to flip them and I was careful. What is supposed to be binding them together? I wondered if there is supposed to be an egg in the recipe? If not can you please offer me some suggestions as to what I did wrong. I followed the recipe exactly as written except for the fresh coriander which wouldn’t in anyway contribute to binding the patties together.

1. Divalicious says:

Hi! Perhaps the zucchini was a bit too wet? This helps bind the mixture together but if it’s a bit too wet it would fall apart. Make sure any excess water is squeezed from the zucchini. Hope the next batch works out! Thanks for popping by.

10. Jen says:

Hi there,

I would like to try this recipe. But the almond meal mentioned in the ingredients list, is that the shop bought almond meal or the wet almond pulp left from making almond milk? Or is it dehydrated wet almond pulp?

Thanks.

1. Hi, it’s the almond pulp left over from making almond milk. I hate throwing it away! I’ve also made brownies with it, but prefer the falafels. Hope you enjoy it!

Love to hear your comments on this!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s