Broccoli, Lemon and Feta Fritters

I love the flavours of these fritters as the lemon lifts the saltiness of the feta and goes well with the broccoli.  They can be great as a side dish, but sometimes I have these as a main with a salad.   This is also a good way to sneak some green veggies into your family’s diet.   I am always up for sneaking healthy food into dishes.  The Chief Taster is often stirring food suspiciously with a fork and asking me “have you put X  in this!”.

You could always make these ahead and let sit in the fridge before frying.

375g broccoli, chopped and trimmed florets

120 g feta, crumbled

1 egg, beaten

2 clove garlic, chopped

2 tblspn coconut flour

rind and juice of 1 lemon

1/2 tspn pepper

2-3 tspln olive oil

• Place the broccoli florets in a saucepan of water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes until tender.
  • Drain the broccoli and allow to cool.
  • In a bowl, mix the lemon rind, lemon juice and garlic.
  • Add the broccoli to the bowl and mash it gently with a fork.
  • Add the egg and feta cheese and blend well.
  • Add the coconut flour to blind, mix well and season with the pepper
  • Take about a tablespoon ball of the mixture in your hands and make into patties.  This should yield about 6-8 patties.
  • Heat the oil on a medium heat in a frying pan.
  • Place the patties in the pan and fry on each side until golden.

Makes 6 – 8

10 Comments Add yours

1. anna says:

is there a sheep or goat feta cheese?

1. Divalicious says:

I use a sheep but the goats cheese feta would be good too.

1. Divalicious says:

Thanks Lucy! Hope you enjoy them!

2. These look so goooood!

1. Divalicious says:

Thanks! Hope you enjoy them!

3. Suné says:

They look good but I wouldn’t make them again as it’s very hard to keep them in the shape of a fritter… Every single one I made broke when I turned them around (very gently) in the pan. Very frustrating. I added another egg to try bind more after all the breaking, and found 1 lemon to be too much – resulted in too sour end product. Perhaps reduce lemon to half, add another egg, add more coconut flour to bind? Maybe someone else has better luck that I did :|

1. Divalicious says:

That’s a shame Sune. Perhaps if you squeeze any excess water out of the broccoli they might bind more?

Love to hear your comments on this!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s