Cookies/ Gluten Free/ Low Carb/ Paleo/ Vegetarian

Avocado Chocolate Cookies (Almond Flour)

Although I am a big fan of butter, I had read how avocado can be used to replace it in cooking so thought I would give it a try.  The end result was a soft, brownie like cookie after 30 minutes in the oven.  They were better the next day so a bit of will power is needed not to eat them all when they are out of the oven.

Soft and delicious

Since the mixture was very moist, I think you could possibly make this vegan by omitting the egg and it would firm up the cookie.   I was also making some ice cream and made a cookie ice cream sandwich out of the last two.  Delicious.  I kicked myself for not doing it when I had more cookies left, as they were perfect for an ice cream sandwich!

Make sure you use a soft, ripe avocado.  If it is a bit firm, wait a day or two.

1 ripe avocado

1 cup almond flour

1 tspn baking powder

1/4 tspn salt

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1/2 cup erthyritol or other sugar substitute

2 tblpsn coconut oil

1 egg

• Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F degrees.
  • Mash up the avocado until smooth.
  • Add the erthyritol (or sugar substitute), coconut oil and the egg.
  • Blend until smooth.

This green mixture will become chocolate cookies!

• Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
  • Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
  • Roll little balls of the cookie mixture and place onto the baking tray.  Slightly flatten.

cookies

• Bake for 30 minutes.

It's only fair to share...Share on Facebook36Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Tumblr0Share on Yummly11Pin on Pinterest56

Elizabeth
    February 4, 2017 at 4:19 pm

I just made these for the second time. The first batch burned, but were still edible though a bit on the dry side. The second batch came out much better. I added a little butter, maybe 2 tsp, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, chopped walnuts, 2T flaxseed. Baked at 350 for 25 minutes. My husband likes them, even after I told him about the avocado.

Angela Coleby
      February 4, 2017 at 4:22 pm

Yum! I’d have to lie about the flaxseed to my husband! Let them eat first, then tell them what was in it!

Elizabeth
        February 4, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Hahaha, he doesn’t know what a flax seed is.

10 Low Carb & Gluten Free Christmas Cookies | Divalicious Recipes
    December 18, 2015 at 3:58 pm

[…] Avocado Chocolate Cookies […]

Pam
    August 15, 2015 at 9:42 pm

These are so yummy …..my kids love them …. Can’t even tell they have almond flour and avocado. You have some yum oh recipes ….. Loyal fan for life:)

August 15, 2015 at 10:16 pm

Awwwh! Pan, you’ve made my weekend! Glad you enjoy the recipes and thanks for popping by! Happy baking x

ediblethings
    April 2, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Oh diva, what lovely cookies! I’ve also been reading about avocado as a butter substitute, and I think you’re right, you can make them vegan without the egg. I think it’s almost a shame that you lose the colour, though. Green cookies could be fun

April 3, 2014 at 9:17 am

It is tempting to leave the cocoa powder out just to see what they bake like though! Perhaps flavour them with lime? hmmmm..might have to have another play around with these!

Lauren Lane
    April 2, 2014 at 12:05 pm

wow these look great!! i love unique ways to sneak avocados into my husbands diet…haha

April 2, 2014 at 4:08 pm

LOL! I try the same with various things too! After sneaking avocado into a chocolate pudding, he now tolerates it in a salad! Keep it up! 😉